Saturday, December 19, 2015

The Summer of The Shrew........



The summer of ......ahhhhh
Huh?
Yeh that summer?!
Oh Look the poster says 78' ~
 for some reason
I thought it was the early 80's but 
my memory has it~
I was still going to PS41 ~ 
so yeah 78'!

In 1979, I saw my first CONCERT at
Madison Square Garden
 KISS
And that was with my step dad Larry.
We walked all the way back down to 
WestBeth~ ears ringing.
The Best of both worlds.

In 1978,
The summer in the Park.
We would come early , as usual,
Dad rolled super early ALLL the TIME>
We would get a little snack pack from the vendor out front.
Cheddar or sometimes Brie, an Apple, Baguette, some grapes ,
nuts & a cookie ~and Whatever Drink we decided~NO SODA.
Dad would make sure we got into our comped seats and get us
settled.
"Sit tight" ! We did. My brother and I were well behaved.
Shakespeare in the park & a snack pack~
the sweet summertime air and Raoul Julia.
The heat would die down with the shadows of the on coming evening,
which came late. It never seemed too buggy or perhaps they were just attracted 
to the theatre lights.
The heat of the concrete jungle was absent from
this small patch of forest in the middle of
manhattan.
The soul of the city is lush, green and
hey looky there creative too~
Shakespeare in the Park
under the stars....
Outdoor theatre how fascinating.
AHHHHHH   Raoul ~ 
I had been crushin' on him 
since Two Gentlemen Of Verona.
So what I was like barely four,
wow I am weird.
This particular summer show was an easy one to "follow"
being raised in all sorts & types of plays.
AND SHAkespeare huh,,,questionable
No wait,, this one was a good one.
I could understand this one.
It was a little bit like the soap opera
my grandma Rich watched on Tv.

The passion, the lust that was not returned.
The word Woo was used alot .
Tensions, hatred turned into submissive love.
Now there;s something to chew on as a 10 year old.
Not to mention the looks of Meryl with her pushed up renaissance
bussom ~ the powdered cleavage .
The power of Raoul as Petrucio,
meets his match in Kate.
They break eachother.
Meryl Streep was just starting to make some waves in the arena of 
actors, and apparently,
she was very close with my Dad;s girlfriend `seemingly still is.
All I know is when we went back stage after the performances , Dad pulled us in~
And there was Raoul, he admired my "all grown Uppedness" ~melted I was indeed.
I do recall meeting Meryl Streep..and her beauty was striking.
Her delicately pronounced nose and the color of her eyes didn;t catch up
until you were right in front of her.
Gentle and sincere, my dad did not like her. He had such a funny and particular hate for certain
fellow actors...and it always  made me wonder if, perhaps, he was
threatened by their talents . Or  was it that , his ego was not receiving much praise as perhaps
those he hated were as narcissistic as he was.....thus so absorbed with self~ they forgot
to blow some praising smoke up the Bottoms Ass ~thus the hillbilly hate would take root
in him??!!
 ANd please NOTE
I speak this of my father with the utmost love in my heart. It;s merely
an opinion . An inner observation.
It;s ego mania.... and
we suffer from a longline of it.

I look in the "mirror", I see all these marvelous traits I seemingly inherited .
 Perhaps watching my father, acknowledging how he treated
people ~both good & On'ry'~silent or opinionated;overly sincere
or beyond detached :
made me think how that plays a role in the success of an actor.
A parent, a teacher , a librarian , a student ,  
a general human being.
Really?!!! REALLY ...
am I going on here~ into another
generalization of blah blah blAh land,,,,
Bottom line , at this point'
MY DAD WOULD ALWAYS SAY
"FUCK "EM"!

No comments:

Post a Comment